Well, a friend of mine who makes various soaps and what not gave me a small container of some homemade lip balm. All I can say is wow – this stuff is really nice and helped out on the chapped lips. She got her recipe in an email from a soap making group she belongs to. There was no attribution as to who first made this or any sort of copyright on this so I am going to share with you what in my humble opinion is one of the best lip balms I have used. And Hey I have tried quite a few such as chapstick, blistex carmex, and burt’s bees. Burt’s Bee’s has been my favorite up until this.
First Gather the following items up to prepare for this lip delight.
- 1/2 oz of Almond or Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon of fine grated beeswax – Found in Health Store or Some Drug Stores
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey – The Better the Honey the Better it will be
- 5 drops of Vanilla Essential Oil or Peppermint or Other Food Grade Essential Oils to make it smell nice
- Set of Lips to test it on. :-)
- Put Oil and Bees Wax in a heat proof glass measuring cup.
- Set Cup in pan of simmering water.
- Heat until both items are melted
- Slowly blend in Honey
- Blend in the 5 drops of Essential Oil
- Pour mixture into small container
- Let mixture set – Can be placed in refrigerator.
The Container my friend used was to recycle a small mint tin with a secure lid.
To Use – use finger to smooth onto lips. Smack Lips Around. To Test give your love one a nice kiss on the lips (Hint: if you are sick don’t try this at home)
Other Idea is to use Peppermint Essential Oil or similar food grade flavoring to add aroma to the DIY Lip Balm.